Departmental Scholarships, Awards, Etc.
Hagedorn Scholarship for First Generation College Students in Urban and Environmental Studies
Meet the Winners
Amir Khafagy. My name is Amir Khafagy and I’m a Egyptian- Puerto Rican American who is a proud student of Queens College. I am the first in my family to attend college and I will be the first in my family to graduate college. This is a big personal achievement for me because for much of my academic career I wasn’t always the best student I could have been. Studying and juggling multiple low wage jobs in order to support my self has proven to very difficult. My commitment to social justice has given my the proper motivation I needed to make school my number one priority. I believe that my major in Urban Studies can prepare me for the challenge of improving working peoples lives in any way I could. I have always wanted to be able to make the fight against inequality, racism, poverty and exploitation central to my life. By studying the historical causes of many of the social and urban issues that we find in our world today we then can begin to develop permanent solutions to these problems, such as finding a way of eliminating poverty in our life time. After graduating I would hope to be part or create a organization that would help make poor and working class people believe that what might seem impossible today can truly be possible tomorrow.
- Lucy Cerritos
- Marissa Testani
- Mariah Chaudry
- Songyi Ee
- Orson Barzola
Hagedorn Scholarships for First Generation College Students !
- The Department of Urban Studies awards scholarships of $1,500/year to Urban and Environmental Studies Undergraduate Majors who are among the first generation in their family to attend a four-year college in the United States.
- Students whose parents attended college in a country other than the United States ARE eligible for this award.
- Applicants must be pursuing an undergraduate degree and have junior standing or higher
- Applicants must have already declared an Urban or Environmental Studies major.
- Download the Scholarship Application for further instructions.
FACULTY COURSE GRANTS:
Course Enhancement Grants for Experiential Learning Activities (NEW)!
- These grants support course-specific activities foster an experiential learning environment, up to $500/semester.
- All full and part time instructors are eligible to apply.
- Deadlines are the 3rd Monday in FEB. @ 5pm! There will be absolutely no exceptions to these deadlines.
- Download the Experiential Learning Course Enhancement Application for further instructions.